This is not a rhetorical question! I have been thinking lately about why bibliophiles, such as you and I, are so into reading. In our technological society, there are more leisure pursuits available than ever to compete for our time and attention, yet we stick to an activity which has been popular – if sometimes frowned-upon – for centuries. I’ve come up with 15 reasons – have you got any more to add?
I read so much because…
- I need something to do while I’m eating / travelling / waiting for visitors, etc.
- Books engage my brain more than films / TV do.
- I can’t go to sleep at night unless I’ve read a few chapters first.
- There are so many interesting books available and I want to read them all.
- Reading is a significant part of my background and upbringing.
- I’m a book blogger!
- I don’t want to disturb the cat on my knee.
- Books are my friends.
- A lot of the books I want to read are free.
- I like to learn new things and gain new perspectives.
- Books are escapism and I need a lot of that.
- I have a cup of tea in one hand but the other hand is empty.
- I want to understand the craft of writing.
- My favourite books invite multiple re-reads.
- I’m addicted to reading.